1. Zoning clearance required for all temporary structures
Indian Hill (513) 561-6500
Madeira (513) 561-7228
2. Fire Department Permit required if:
a. Tent is greater than 400 square feet
b. Canopy without sidewalls or drops is greater than 700 square feet or less than 12 feet from all structures or other tents
Madeira & Indian Hill Joint Fire District (513) 561-7926
3. Building Permit required if the tent or canopy will be located on non-residential property
Hamilton County Building Department (513) 946-4550
Madeira Building Department (513) 561-7228
Four (4) sets of “Required Documentation” are needed for Building Department.
Electrical inspection may be required by the Inspection Bureau, Inc.
Phone: (513) 381-6080
1. Basic information- Nature of the event, location of tent, property owner, who is erecting the tent, when the tent will be erected, when the event will occur, when the tent will be removed and number of guests at the event.
2. Site Plan- Should show location of tent in relation to property lines and other structures.
3. Floor Plan- Indicating details of egress facilities, arrangement of seating, dance floors, bars and location and type of heating appliances.
4. Flame resistance certificates- For all tent materials, sidewalls, drops and tarpaulins, floor coverings and bunting.
5. Structure Stability- Documentation showing structure is adequately roped and braced to withstand the elements of weather and prevent structural collapse.
Other than as accepted by section 2403.8.2 of 2005 OFC, tents shall not be located within 20 feet of property lines, buildings, other tents, parked vehicles or other internal combustion engines. Note, support ropes or guy wires are considered to be part of tent when doing measurements.
Tents are allowed to be joined together by means of corridors. Exit doors shall be provide at each end and on each side approximately opposite each other, providing openings no less than 12 feet wide.
Means of Egress
1. Minimum number of exits
||# of Exits
|10 to 199
|200 to 499
|500 to 999
|1,000 to 1,999
|2,000 to 2,999
2. Exits shall be spaced at approximate equal intervals around the perimeter of the tent and located so no point within the tent is over 100 feet travel distance.
3. Exit openings shall remain open unless covered by a flame resistant curtain. Curtain shall be free sliding on a metal support. Support shall be 80 inches above floor level at the exit. Curtain shall be of a color or colors that contrast with the color of the tent.
4. Exit signs shall be provided for each exit when the occupant load exceeds 50. Signs shall be an approved self-luminous type or shall internally or externally illuminate. Occupant loads below 300 require two separate circuits, one of which shall be separate from all other circuits. Occupants loads over 300 require two separate power sources, one of which shall be an approved emergency system.
5. The minimum width of a public aisle is 44 inches. Aisles for employees only may be 24 inches but not less than the width required by the number of employees.
The required clear width of all exits, aisles and passageways shall be maintained clear from any obstacles at all times. The surface of a means of egress shall be maintained in an approved manner.